This panel includes an exciting discussion between:
* Professor Barrymore Bogues, Director of the Brown University Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice
* Andres Idarraga ’08, Co-Founder of the Transcending Through Education Foundation, a non-profit supporting the education efforts of people in prison. Andres is a formerly incarcerated person who went on to graduate from Brown University and Yale Law School.
* (Moderator) Kathie Klarreich, Chair of Exchange for Change, a non-profit that facilitates writing workshops in South Florida correctional institutions
Some questions we’ll be looking to answer are:
* What are the parallels between pre-20th-century slavery and current day incarceration?
* What is being missed by pop culture when imagining the state of prisons?
* What can be done to help transition people back into society?